Sunday, September 18, 2011

How do you go about taking the dash and steering column out of a 1993 Buick Century?

My son and I need to replace the dash on my wife's 93 Buick Century and I am not sure how to go about it. We found a real nice one at a local salvage yard and they told us we could save A LOT of money if we could take it out ourselves, soo I need some expert advice on how to go about taking out the dash and steering column the easiest way possible. I have some knowledge of doing things like this. I just got done removing the entire interior of her car, like the seats and carpet. I even took out the headliner without much trouble. The reason I am going about all this, is, I have to change the color of the interior, because I needed to replace the front and back seats as they were not in the best of condition and I could not find any that was the same color as hers. But I did get a VERY good price on the seats, carpet, headliner back window carpet and side panels. All I have left now is the dash and steerng column! So please, someone out there, help me with some easy pointers! Thanks!|||Tackeling a dash is a major undertaking.. not to metion the steering column... you really must be a decent mechanic...


1st you are dealing with wire harnesses and speedo cables and mounting screws everywhere... but as you remove the dash take time to mark your wires where they go and reatach them in reverse order that you remove them... the first thing to remove is the steering coulmn.. as it will make removing thte dash easier...


under the hood you will find a link attching the colum to your rack %26amp; pinion.


there are four mounting boult under the dash that hold a saddle that supports the column.. it will be understandable as you go along.


remove your insturment cluster after that and start undoing your wires under the dash and in the glove compartment..


again mark everything and note there postion...


alot af common sense will go along way ..just take your time and you can do it..|||one note: make sure your wheels are straight and the steering wheel is straight also.. this will help greatly when you stab the steering clmn back into the rack and have the steering wheel situated properly so that it isn't crooked when driving down the road.


again Good luck.

Report Abuse


|||Thank you Karl...I NEVER would of thought of that one!!! You have been most helpful! I hope I can help you the same way some day! Thanks again! Have a nice Easter!

Report Abuse


|||Get a " Haynes Manual" at your local parts store for your particular vehicle. The manual will give a detailed illustration


of the column and related components and how to remove it.|||call up an auto parts store and maybe they could help. too much detail to go into. or go back to the salvage company and ask them. they're usually very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment